Friday, July 2, 2010

Alice In Underland (Alice in Wonderland (2010))

     
This movie seems to be a sequel to "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", the original by Lewis Carroll, where the "Alice" from the original came to Underland (Wonderland was how she called the place when she was little) again after 13 years. The story in this movie though got me very confused especially with the characters. Turns out that it was a big mix-up of the original and the sequel "Through the Looking-Glass" with some more characters added.. and a lot more story mix-up.

Underland has been half-reduced to ruins after the evil "Bloody" Red Queen overthrew the White Queen and took control of all Underland. Alice, upon arrival in Underland was greeted by familiar friends. (though she can't remember them quite yet) With their help, Alice must then fulfill the prophecy as foretold in the "Oraculum" of slaying the Red Queen's "Jabberwocky" and returning the throne to the peace-loving White Queen.

The Cute, The Creepy, and The Crazy: One Mad Tea Party

Fulfilling the Prophecy: Alice against the Jabberwocky

The story's heroine, Alice, as portrayed by Mia Wasikowska, is quite an interesting character and is much different from the original Alice. Apart from being 13 years older (though she still has much of her childishness) she is surprisingly brave and rather headstrong. Probably because she still believes it's all a dream or like what she said "Sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast." Either way, she is still way charming and awesome. (I really love that lady knight costume in the end)

 The charming Mia Wasikowska as Alice

Another main character I liked is the Mad Hatter, portrayed by Johnny Depp. Aside from the crazy make-up and get-up, the intensified touch of madness added to his character really got my attention. Sometimes he exclaims in a scottish sort of accent and sometimes he falls into a maddened state with an outburst of strange words that someone should tell him to stop before things get nasty. I must say, splendid work on the characters.

 Another amazing character portrayal by Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter

Some other characters I loved were the March Hare, with is fidgety behavior and impulse to throw things (cups in particular) at others, the very cute dormouse with her eyeball-hunting needle-sword (it's extremely accurate I must say). Oh, and there's the Cheshire Cat, everyone loves that nasty, creepy grin.

 Do I look like I'm lying? I assure you, cats have this many teeth.

Being a huge fan of Role-Playing Games and the fantasy genre, this movie in particular really blew my mind away. Great story, fantastic world setting, awesome characters and amazing, action-packed fight scenes, to top it all of the smooth and eye-popping color and animation totally completes the package making this movie a genuine must-see. I really wish I'd seen this film on 3D theatre. I just watched it on DVD on a regular TV screen but nevertheless, it's still one heck of a ride.

 One of my favorite scenes. It's like the fantasy RPG Monster Hunter in PSP

Kudos to my filmmaker hero, Tim Burton for this one!

Alice: This is impossible.
Hatter: Only if you believe it is.
Alice: Sometimes, I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
Hatter: That is an excellent practice.

0 comments:

From The Idiot Box

From the screen to your lenses to your brain to your nerves to your heart, lungs and muscles and out. Its a compilation of my take, thoughts and impressions on straight up, good stuff (mostly japanese, anime, music and geek-related) from the idiot box that I like and you might like.

... and idiocy. :)

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Total Pageviews